Registration for the February 2014 Melbourne Music Marathon Weekend is now open on www.smoothrunning.org.
What To Expect
- Big medals (recycled metals) to all 1/2 marathon, 1/2 relay and full marathon finishers
- Tech tees made from partially recycled materials to ALL pre-registered participants
- Embroidered Melbourne Marathon bridge logo hats to half marathon, relay, full marathon and handcycle participants
- Post-race concerts both race days
- Pizza and fruit to runners on Saturday
- Pancakes, pizza and brews courtesy of Florida Beer to runners Sunday
- Gatorade, water and Clif Shots at each stop
- Haribo Gummi Bears course stop
- Pacers (for BOTH the 1/2 Marathon and full marathon)
- Super Bowl Sunday costume contest. Show off your favorite team!
- A live internet webcast of the finish line will be broadcast on Sunday, Feb 3 for the Half, Relay, Full and Hand Cycle Marathons!
- Fun, Fun, Fun
Located on Florida’s Space Coast, just north of Miami, south of Jacksonville and east of Orlando and Tampa, the Melbourne Music Marathon Weekend makes for a perfect warm winter running destination for runners of all ages and levels. It is held a month after the Disney Marathon, and, like a rock-n-roll marathon, our event includes more than 20 musical acts along the course of the half and full marathon and half a dozen on the routes of the 5-k and 8-k races.
Both the 1/2 and full Marathons are USATF-certified courses with ChronoTrack timing. The Melbourne Music Marathon is a qualifying race for the Boston Marathon .
It is a walker and headphones-friendly event with a six-hour time limit on the course.
A very scenic route that includes four bridge crossings for the full and two for the half-marathon, the course twice takes marathoners to the beach side barrier island and back to the mainland before concluding on main street of downtown Melbourne — followed by the awards ceremony and a party featuring yet another live band.
The event features an elite field of Masters runners with $10,200.00 prize purse going to top finishers in the men and women 40 & over Masters group.
Prize money TBD will be awarded to athletes competing in Sunday’s Top End EuroAmerican Handcycling Championships.
Among top Masters elites who have competed in the event are 4-time Olympian Colleen DeReuck, 1983 Boston Marathon champion Greg Meyer, 4-time Boston Marathon Winner and 4-time NYC Marathon winner Bill Rodgers, Olympian Zola Budd, Olympic Gold Medalist Frank Shorter, Olympian Keith Brantley, 2010 Womens Masters 1/2 Marathon Champion Lori Kingsley and 2009 & 2010 USA 1/2 Masters Champion Paul Aufdemberge. 2012 Half Marathon winner Mbarak Hussein is a two-time winner of both the Honolulu and Twin Cities marathons.
Half Marathon Cert: FL09003EBM
Full Marathon Cert: FL09018EBM
The Melbourne Music Half-Marathon is the official 2012 USA Masters Half-Marathon Championship. Many of the nation’s top elite male and female Masters runners will be among the field competing for the USATF’s prestigious national title.
Masters LDR Championships are open to all member athletes of USATF, including permanent resident aliens. However, only United States citizens shall be awarded individual championship awards and/or prize money.
The 8-K and 1/2 marathon are USATF Florida State Masters Championship races in their respective distances.
An elite running team will pace runners in the half marathon to 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, 2:00 and 2:10 finishing times. Pacers will also run the full marathon to 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00.